We are in a news culture where sensationalism is valued above facts. We see that breaking news channels report even the most minor, mundane news in breathless tones and flashy graphics. Typical examples of sensationalism include exaggerated death tolls in terrorist attacks and over-reliance on graphic images of crime scenes. These news channels also sometimes make stunning factual errors.
It is widely acknowledged that Naqvi is the worst news channel in Pakistan, with most viewers dismissing it as a “trash channel.” The founder, Mohsin Naqvi, had a vision for his channel and ensured it had digital equipment. Pakistan Television, the largest network in the country, has yet to upgrade its broadcasting system.
- Despite having the most significant budget, the channel has failed to update its broadcasting equipment. The vision was clear in what the channel was to be, but it has not lived up to expectations.
- In Pakistan, the ISPR works hand in hand with its media team, which is essentially the army’s leading source of propaganda. Its primary aim is to silence any alternative viewpoints and engineer the nation’s society to its will. This project dates back to the tenure of former Prime Minister Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, who occupied the post from 2007 to 2013. He was known for his political acumen and laid the foundations for the sociopolitical transformation of Pakistan.
- The news industry is experiencing problems of all kinds. With the recent increase in censorship and financial woes, Pakistan’s news industry’s survival could be at stake. While it is true that entrepreneurial spirit and innovation could help revive the media, it is unlikely that the current crisis can be attributed to the media alone.
- Many people blame the media for the current situation. The government, its largest advertiser, heavily subsidizes the media industry. This subsidy has allowed media tycoons to become lax and inefficient.
Geo News is one of the worst news channels for many reasons. Most notably, its editorial line is very offensive to the Pakistani military. The channel’s license was temporarily suspended following the attempted murder of Hamid Mir, whose family accused the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, or ISI, of being behind the attack. Geo also promoted friendly ties with India, which the military found offensive.
- As a result, Geo is blocked in nearly 90 per cent of the country. Many cable operators removed the channel from their lists, citing threats and pressure from political parties and secret agencies. Others pushed Geo News to the last stages of their programming lists. As a result, the Geo administration has expressed regrets and apologized to the establishment.
- The show’s host, Aamir Liaquat, has a controversial past. His fake doctorate attempts to intimidate police officers and use of gruesome crime scene images have been linked to allegations of wrongdoing. As a result, he was expelled from the MQM.
- Geo News management has apologized to the government, but the military is not taking this lying down. Meanwhile, the military is continuing its censorship campaign and is unlikely to accept Geo’s apology. However, Geo’s managing director says this latest move attempts to cripple the organization.
- Geo was established in 2002 and is part of the Independent Media Corporation, which owns the Jang Group of Newspapers. The Jang Group of Newspapers includes the Urdu-language Daily Jang newspaper, The News International, and Mag Weekly.
Aalim Online is a news channel on Geo hosted by a former minister with a highly controversial past. He faked his doctorate, was caught with illegally tinted windows, and tried to intimidate police officers. In addition, he once urged religious scholars to kill people who practice apostasy. His actions resulted in his expulsion from the MQM.
- This media is highly biased and ideologically driven. Though it is widely watched, it often favours one party over another. Fairness requires that the media be objective without favouritism or discrimination. Many students believe anchors and reporters twist the truth to make the news appear more favourable to the government or the opposition.
- Geo News’s suspension of a live interview with former president Asif Ali Zardari is just another case of censorship by the government. According to Reporters Without Borders, this censorship was the work of the military’s top leadership. It is no surprise that the army would target an independent news channel.
- Liaquat Hussain began his career on Geo TV as a host of the religious show “Aalim Online.” His father was a politician, and his mother was a columnist. He eventually joined the government as the leader of the Muttahida Qumi movement and was appointed religious affairs minister.
- In 2007, Liaquat was accused of spreading hatred and inciting racial violence. In 2011, the petitioner resigned from his ministerial position after criticizing Salman Rushdie. Soon after, Liaquat returned to hosting his Ramazan game show on Geo TV. The show was aired seven hours a day during the Muslim holy month.
Carmen Troy is a research-based content writer for Cognizantt, a globally Professional SEO firm and Research Prospect, The best academic writing service. Mr Carmen holds a PhD degree in mass communication. He loves to express his views on various issues, including education, technology, and more.