Keeping your dental implants clean is an important aspect to increase the life of the dental implants and save them from decay. It improves your oral health and helps you have maintained oral hygiene and a flawless smile.
What is a dental implant?
Nowadays, traditional dentures are no longer the only option for replacing missing teeth, thanks to modern dental innovations. Dental implants provide a natural, risk-free, long-lasting method of replacing missing teeth and displaying a new smile. It is made of high-grade titanium and attached to the jawbone. Following that, the body initiates a fusing process known as osseointegration, which secures the implant as if it were a natural tooth root allowing you to chew and speak more naturally than dentures would.
Later, the Dentist in Kolkata adds an abutment for the secure attachment of a final restoration. Implants are the best choice for tooth replacement because they are the only permanent option. Usually, dental implants do not necessitate a lot of maintenance. But once the procedure is completed, it is critical to properly care for the implant, as this will determine how good a return on your investment you receive. Dental implants, unlike dentures, require only regular check-ups, brushing, and flossing. Prevent dental implant problems by not smoking, practicing good oral hygiene, and visiting the Dental Clinic in Kolkata daily as soon as you notice any dental issues.
I have given some helpful tips below for maintaining your dental implants clean and hygienic for decades.
How to care for your dental implants
- Brush your teeth twice a day: Brushing your teeth first thing in the morning kills bacteria that have accumulated in your mouth overnight and helps to prevent morning breath. Also, brushing before bedtime kills bacteria that have accumulated throughout the day. It also reduces the decay and plaque build-up. The Dentist in Kolkata recommends brushing your teeth twice a day when food particles and bacteria need to be cleaned, especially if you have dental implants and want to keep them in good condition.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles: You may need to switch toothbrushes after receiving dental implants. This is because soft-bristled toothbrushes are very useful in removing germs and bacteria like the hard-bristled brushes and are also less likely to cause gum bleeding or damage. When your implants are in place, you should avoid using hard-bristled toothbrushes, which can scratch the surface of your implants. Also, you must avoid cleaning your mouth with any metal instrument. Instead, you can brush for two minutes continuously with fluoride toothpaste using a soft-bristled brush.
- Use a water flosser: Flossing is more important than ever after receiving a dental implant. The plaque has accumulated around the implant, interfering with oral hygiene and causing other problems. A water flosser disrupts and removes bacteria from pockets as deep as 6 mm. Always use the water flosser before applying the fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages: Both of these things are harmful to your health. However, if you have had an implant, you should avoid them because smoking weakens our immune systems, indirectly impacting our oral hygiene. Usually, it takes about 6-7 months for the implants to heal properly. So smoking can be dangerous during this time. On another side, alcohol slows the healing process.
- Rely on bridge and crown floss: Crown and bridge floss cleans the top and bottom surfaces of your dental implants. According to the dentists, floss gently disinfects the dental implant reaching the teeth with its two nylon ends and fluffy center. The firm ends help you to put the floss between dental implants. Fluoride is uniformly distributed throughout the implants in this manner, which aids in the prevention of excessive bacterial growth.
These are some suggestions for keeping your dental implants clean and hygienic. TeethCare Multispeciality Dental Clinic is Kolkata’s leading dental clinic that truly cares about your oral health. The expert dentists at TeethCare Multispeciality Dental Clinic can assist you in maintaining your best oral health and hygiene. Call them today to make an appointment for your routine care and hygiene visit.